About Pine Ridge Indian Reservation
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is an Oglala Sioux Native American reservation located in South Dakota. Although it is the eighth largest reservation in the United States, it is also the poorest. Unemployment hovers between 80% and 85%, and 49% live below the federal poverty level. Adolescent suicide is four times the national average. Many of the families have no electricity, telephone, running water, or sewage systems. Many families use wood stoves to heat their homes. The population on Pine Ridge has among the shortest life expectations of any group in the Western Hemisphere. The infant mortality rate is five times the U.S. national average. There is a lot of abuse, alcoholism, and poverty.
River of Life Short-term Mission Trip
Our Mission Team over the past few years has participated in Vacation Bible School for children at Oglala Re*Creation & Worship Center. Also, they have helped with various work projects on the reservation.
Pine Ridge 2019
This year our mission trip to Oglala, South Dakota is took place from June 1-7. John Voiss is coordinated our trip again this year. Our team from Idaho Falls was John Voiss, Ben Hunter, and Cindy Powell. Thanks for your prayers for our team and others as they minister on the reservation. You can get involved in other River of Life mission efforts through prayer.
1. Due to the high suicide rate among the children on the reservation, ask God to give them a sense of how valuable they are to Him.
2. Ask God to remove the veil of darkness that blinds minds and hearts of many to the light of Jesus Christ.
3. Pray for the children’s hearts to be open to the Gospel.
4. That those planning to go on this year’s mission trip will be able to go.
5. For God’s traveling mercies going and returning home.
6. That a lot of work will get done.
7. That no one will be injured or get sick.
8. For good weather so VBS children can play outside and work groups will be able to work every day.
9. That all will be able to witness for Christ to some unsaved or un-churched people through word or deed.
10. That all will love the Lakotas as Jesus would have us do.
Thanks for supporting us financially and in prayer!